This Thanksgiving, as we each reflect on our blessings and the bounty we have, will you join me in also praying for the world? Below are five table graces incorporating prayers of thanks and prayers for service and justice. If you have a special Thanksgiving table grace, share it with us in the comments!
May this Thanksgiving be a time to recommit ourselves to empowering others, living compassionately, and putting God’s Spirit into action through serving and praying for the world. Happy Thanksgiving!
Different ethnic groups share a meal together in Rwanda - SIA creates community!
1. Give us grateful hearts, O Lord, for all thy mercies, and make us mindful of the needs of others; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen. (1928 Book of Common Prayer)
2. To those who hunger, Give bread; To those who have bread, Give the hunger for justice. Amen. (Latin America Prayer)
3. Make us worthy, Lord, To serve those people Throughout the world who live and die In poverty and hunger. Give them, through our hands This day their daily bread, And by our understanding love, Give peace and joy. (Mother Theresa)
4. For food in a world where many walk in hunger For faith in a world where many walk in fear For friends in a world where many walk alone We give you humble thanks, oh Lord. (World Hunger Grace)
Women cook a meal together (Rwanda)
5. Some hae meat and canna eat, And some wad eat that want it; But we hae meat, and we can eat, And sae let the Lord be thankit.
Some have meat and cannot eat, Some cannot eat that want it; But we have meat and we can eat, So let the Lord be thanked. (The Selkirk Grace by Robert Burns; Scotland)