Thanksgiving is a time to stop and reflect with gratitude all the goodness we have in our lives. This, year, I hope it will also be a time to recommit ourselves to empowering others, living compassionately, and putting God’s Spirit into action through serving and praying for the world.
Here are five table graces to incorporate prayers of service and justice into our prayers of thanks. Happy Thanksgiving!
1. Loving God, we thank You for food and remember the hungry; we thank You for health and remember the sick; we thank You for friends and remember the lonely; we thank You for freedom and remember the enslaved. May our gratitude stir us to service, that Your gifts to us may be used for others. Amen.
2. To those who hunger, Give bread; To those who have bread, Give the hunger for justice. Amen. (Latin America Prayer)
The MAVISALO Maize Mill cooperative helps bring food security and prosperity to rural Malawi.
3. In a world where so many are hungry, may we eat this food with humble hearts. In a world where so many are lonely, may we share this friendship with joyful hearts. Amen. (From Canadian Foodgrains Bank)
4. For food in a world where many walk in hunger For faith in a world where many walk in fear For friends in a world where many walk alone We give you humble thanks, oh Lord. (World Hunger Grace)
5. Give us grateful hearts, O Lord, for all thy mercies, and make us mindful of the needs of others; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen. (1928 Book of Common Prayer)